photo like-home.jpg   photo like-about.jpg   photo like-contact.jpg

Thursday, July 18, 2013

I like 60 years of Funk Marriage

My grandparents, Arly and Martha Funk, have been married for 60 years.  6-0!  I know that stuff is cray.  Its hard to fathom what that must feel like.  So much life.  This is my grandmother's wedding photo - 
my grandfather picked her out of the church choir because he liked her striking black hair against her perfect skin.  


In celebration the plan was to go on an Alaskan cruise.  But about mid-way through planning this trip, my grandfather decided we're not Alaska people - we just like Vail.  We love that wonderful city - what's the point of messing with a good thing?  I agree Grandpa.  I agree. 

So we all booked our flights from PDX, SEA, LAX and loaded the cars for Vail.  I'm not sure if you've ever crossed Vail pass for the chance to hike up the short walk to Mt. of the Holy Cross but dear Colorado native - I urge you - DO THIS.  Our goof group's attempt at a group picture:

Family get togethers always leave me pillow talking at night.  There's not enough time for me to get all of Nick's thoughts on the day's events.  "Nick - did you notice how my cousin Matthew does not stop moving!  Why don't we have that much energy! Nick - don't you just love how good of a listener my cousin's new husband Kenny is?  Nick - why does this all seem like its moving in slowmo?"

I loved watching Nick bond with my family.  My dad's toast at dinner when he told this crazy story about my grandfather's legendary motorcycle wheelies through the Lakewood neighborhood.  Oh yeah, and my brother has a rat tail these days.  I felt really connected with my cousins in a new way.  The girls are becoming women and we all share that Funk gene that makes us a bit responsible with a side of wanderlust.  My youngest girl cousin Nicole is even thinking about college in the Pacific Northwest - girl after my own heart.  I told her 4E Ashton has a home for her!


My grandmother said something very profound to me that weekend - she was showing us photos of her life spent with my grandfather and sighed saying, 

"Jessica, all that time I was raising those children, I worried so much that they wouldn't turn out to be people who were full of integrity and love for their God - look what a waste of worry that was."  

I hear ya Grandma - what a waste to worry.  You are wise sweet grandmother.  Sure do love that Funky bunch.  BTW...those great kids she raised looked like this in 1992.  HAHA!



 photo like-sig.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment